Monday, February 21, 2005

Fear and Mourning the World over. Hunter S. Thompson is Dead



It is the end of an era, the end of a generations fight against the corruption and filth of the New American Century.

Hunter Stockwell Thompson, was found dead this morning at his fortified ranch in Aspen Colorado, of a self inflicted gunshot wound.

He carried the torch of indignation and personal freedom for the rest of us.

Reading him was finding a kindred spirit that raged against the mediocrity that threatened to consume us all, it was a kind of high in itself, all blinding light and WOOOOWWWWW!!.

Hunter S. Thompson was the man who first showed me I could be who I wanted and the rest of the world be damned. Here was a man who always wore the right hat whilst travelling outside the realm of possibilities, into the fray and into the fire striking down the demons with the typing of each demented drug crazed word.

I was sixteen when I first read the good doctor. The weekend after I finished his seminal "Fear and Loathing in las Vegas" myself, and my then best friend, who later also killed himself, quickly packed and left for parts beyond Dublin, in some ways we never came back from that trip.

We did not know where, we just went, bringing drugs and drink and a celebration of possiblities Thompson had taught us, with us.

I have tried to live since that weekend with that same spirit.

I have tried to live my life with the liberty that his books and his life taught me.

Now Thompson has chosen to take that ultimate liberty, he has chosen to die, and leave us with the rabid foaming dogs and the squeeling selfish swine that he hated so much.

I cannot but help feeling a little betrayed, a little defeated.

Did he know something about his health that we do not?

Perhaps he wanted to make an end of it himself, rather than letting those who he had fought so savagely against take their final prize, perhaps not.

There is a hole in the world today.

Thompson, I am sure, would have been the last person to give a shit if people viewed him as a Saviour in the fight against hate, idiocy, mediocrity and stupidity, and even less of a shit if anyone thought he had betrayed them..

"Hey Fuck you Buddy, deal with it yourself!"

And we will, though "it" has grown a good deal darker with his passing.


"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night."

- Dylan Thomas.



My thoughts are with the Good Doctor's family tonight.

Peace and Hope

FatherCrow


PS: Ralph Steadman Eulogises Hunter and discusses Johhny Depps plan to execute Hunter's plan for a monument to himself on the event of his death.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,6109,1419636,00.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home